Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Goan Crazy!

Joseph, the owner of our hotel here, approached us during breakfast and asked us if we could play a show on Sunday for 3 hours...we're still not totally sure that we can, but I committed to it instantly. I didn't even expect money to be involved, but he went on to say "I can pay you the same as the others...say, 3500 rupees?"

Alright - not a huge amount of money overseas, but pretty damn substantial here. And of course we would have done it for free...playing music at night, watching the ocean, gathering crowds...it's good fun. I'm going to try and not let the time pass by without practicing so I'm ready for Sunday. Should be good, and then maybe I could even have a repeat performance. For that amount I could live here for free if I played every week.

We're pretty settled into our little bungalo, kind of a thatched hut with a bed inside, covered by a mosquito net. A girl here gave us a CD player and speakers, plus we have a drum and guitar inside, and we are actually on the beach, so we get up, eat breakfast, swim, play music...very unproductive but pretty conducive of contentment.

Also - still loving the Hindi movie "Ghajini" and trying to learn some soundtrack songs...

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=B2KN9HefMZc
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=hoKDChlT9XQ
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=7rpcEYB2g_I


3 comments:

Lokhtar said...

You are crazy. 3500 rupees was about 1500 rupees more than both of my parents used to make - combined - when I grew up. Awesome what you're doing though, glad to see you're really enjoying this opportunity.

How long do you plan to stay around there?

Anonymous said...

Do you take your shirt off and sway in the breeze like the dude in the video?

Andrew said...

Of course I do, and just like in Bollywood music videos, there's a posse of ripped guys behind me, and we're slowing dancing towards an army of coy Indian girls led by the girl I'm crushing on.